Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Consignment & Tag Sale Finds

📷 @thredUP


There's apparently a huge fashion industry waste issue that's really affecting our environment, which I had no idea about until recently and that I'm really glad to have been made aware of. 🌿 

I've been tag sale and consignment shopping since I was in highschool. My mom and her older sister are the Queens of tag sale shopping, and so I pretty much fell right onto the bandwagon at a young age. Having grown up in Los Angeles as a second home, there were always people moving around and selling their stuff. A lot of the time there would be really great quality items, even brand new, or barely used or worn. So naturally, shopping this way was cool with me. 🛍 All of the vintage Tees, random sofas, jewelry and tell-all books that LA had to offer was a wonderland. (Just imagine running into one of these everything-must-go-yesterday sales in Beverly Hills.) 

Not to mention the tons of stores that offered exchange and consignment-like sale. One store in particular on La Brea Ave. that I used to go to on Sundays had these ginormous piles of stuff on tarp on the ground, all for $1 each. And there were people everywhere every Sunday. My point here being, it's been cool to wear used clothes for years. If you're new to the atmosphere, you're not too late. Right now you can buy used, or simply re-post on Instagram to help the environment. 

All of the clothes that I bought as an LA teen are long gone now, but I still consignment shop here and there. I'm going to share a few of the most recent items that I've found because I honestly couldn't believe I happened upon them. A 90s find in perfect condition, a Carrie Bradshaw bag, Steve Madden snake skin. All this happened in the last 6 months. 


Tag Sale Finds

click/tap | @express

I came across this Express sweater at a tag sale at elevationists (couldn't believe I ran into the place) here in Denver just last month. So cool! ♻️ I've only worn it once, and its incredibly unique. I didn't realize it was as unique as it is until I got it home. (Quick grab and go, and my newly adopted dog was still at the anxious stage.) Theres this huge slit on the side that I was skeptical about at first, but worn on it just adds this really cool edge to your look. I absolutely love it. I'm always comfortable in black so it's been an added welcome to my small closet. The black seems to be hard to find, but I found it in gray on Poshmark if interested. ☀️


Consignment Finds


click/tap | Liz Claiborne

This Liz Claiborne underarm bag literally looks like it's been sitting somewhere untouched since the 90s. This picture really doesn't do it justice. I couldn't believe I found it while I was out looking for a purse when I didn't have anything but a Coach wristlet to carry. This was exactly what I needed to find, although I found one other and it's not my go-to bag at the moment. 

click/tap

My go-to bag right now is this silver no name that's just a bit bigger, and that I can take with me anywhere. Silver is a comfort color for me right now so it goes along well with anything that I wear each day. I wanted something that I could just repeat and I found just that, perfectly.

@bananarepublic 

The Banana Republic leggings. I'd been buying my black leggings from Forever 21 since I was a pre-teen and hadn't really recognized an opportunity for change. Until a few years ago when I got a pair from them and a random hole happened. No way! I couldn't believe it. My previous pairs had lasted nearly 10 years, if not 10. Shocked by this new issue I stopped buying the leggings. I found these while randomly consignment digging last month and they're perfect. Hoping for the best here, they've got a shinier finish and my dog's nails haven't been able to scathe them yet while riding in the car. 🐶

@tigers

Always, always finding a good Tee. Whether vintage or not. I wear them out, I wear them to bed, I wear them around the house. I'm a huge Tee person and I don't think that will ever change!

click/tap

I found this Carrie Bradshaw New Years bag a few towns over and I could not leave the store without it. I know it'll come in handy on one of these end of the year nights in my future. It's just so perfect! 💝

click/tap | @stevemadden

Steve Madden snake skin and gold. I. Found. It. The wristlet strap can be removed and I'm hoping to be able to successfully wear it as a clutch. Maybe that'll depend on the angle that I hold it at. It's a wallet and not a clutch, but I see it serving so many purposes on a night or day out. $6. Had to grab this one too! 💫


Finding unique items like these just goes to show that used shopping can be just as fulfilling if not more fulfilling then shopping retail. I'm absolutely in love with these finds of mine, and it all means that much more that I happened upon them and made them my own in the way that I did. Below is an image you can repost for World Environment Day using the hashtag #chooseused that will prompt @thredUP to donate $1 to the Circular Fashion Fund. 


Happy Shopping! 🛍

click/tap and save ☆

No comments:

Post a Comment