Saturday, May 4, 2019

NYC Three Times

#1



I had seen Central Park in so many movies and on so many tv shows growing up that I figured it would feel familiar by the time I actually got to nyc to see it. And I was right! It took all the way until my late 20s but I eventually got to beautiful Manhattan to see all of its glory in 2016. Things I recognized first were the miniature lake where people sail their miniature sailboats (Stuart Little, of course.), the Alice in Wonderland piece from Remember Me (above), and of course Central Park as a whole (There it is! That's Central Park!

All the brownstones caught my attention as I of course looked around for Carrie Bradshaw, or SJP. I may have gotten a liiittle claustrophobic because I wasn't used to not being able to see the sky. But, that's a concrete jungle for you. I stayed close to my travel buddy and eventually settled in to that feeling and pushed forward. It was very busy on the streets but my walk through the park is one I surely haven't forgotten. So busy that it was just a quick excursion before getting back on the highway up to Connecticut. I saw Trump Plaza defaced, talked brownstone real estate, and ate a $13 hot dog. I think I did Central Park. 


#2

tap/click

Here's where I just take off and do my thing like I think only my kinda girl can. I wanted to see the new Lost City of Z movie and I wanted it now. So I bought tickets for NYFF54 and made it a day! 🔆 I was glad to see the movie early and there was some nice breezy walking through town. Back and forth to another screening became a little frazzled and I wished I hadn't worn the boots with heels, my tickets may have gotten left in the bathroom at the thought of seeing Robert Pattinson, but nyc was way cool for the whole outing. 


#3


Oh Broadway you got me. 1 train, 1 cab, my debit card and a Leonardo DiCaprio-esque baseball cap over my eyes. Manhattan. 💗 Getting around as quickly and easily as I did was a dream. Jimmy Fallon on the little tv in the cab made me less anxious about time. When I got to the Hudson to see 1984 starring Tom Sturridge and Olivia Wilde, I was 3 minutes late. I rushed in, light on my feet and was told my seat was just after where there were three empty seats from the aisle and where there was to be no one seated to my immediate right. With no distractions, my hat a little low and no one able to lean over and talk to me, I saw my first Broadway show. It was everything I thought it would be (with no vomiting reviews.) I was so happy to get to see the two leads in person for a performance that was just awe inspiring. 

On the way back out onto the street I finally glanced upward and noticed that I was right next to Times Square. Girls on the street were talking about Tom Sturridge. I wondered if I could zip over to the square before jumping in a cab. Two destinations failed (An icecream stand and Starbucks with a long line) I lost the nerve and hailed a cab. There were ny cops everywhere watching me and ignoring me at the same time. Might have just been my idea of utter bliss. I ended up settling for a pretzel in Grand Central before starting back on the 1.5 hour ride to Philadelphia. Oh okay, man hat tan. 🙂

Thanks @vogue for the wonderful articles in your June issue on 1984 and the show's producer, Sonia Friedman, that inspired me to go see it! 🔆



Bonus: I drove straight to Brooklyn a fourth time
 for Body By Brooklyn. Highly recommend! 🧖‍♀️

No comments:

Post a Comment